ABOUT PENGUIN BASEMENTS
Seeing a gap in the market, Penguin Basements was founded in 2011 by Guy Solomon to bring a standard of process and professionalism to a burgeoning industry. Learning from past experiences on both the professional and personal side, Guy believed that a company should rise above the competition by employing higher build standards, utilizing more suitable materials and implementing a proven build process (similar to that employed by housing developers) to deliver a better basement in terms of design, functionality, quality, and durability. He also felt this would be a company built for the long-term rather than one designed — like too many renovation companies — to cash in on the home improvement boom.
The philosophy remains true today, and Penguin Basements is constantly looking to improve our standards, materials, and processes to lead the industry forward, and to offer a better product to our customers. We call this our Smart Basements™ approach. In addition to winning the Basement Renovation of the Year Award in 2019, we are multiple Consumer’s Choice and HomeStars Best award-winner and more importantly, a BILD and Renomark™ certified company that continues to be fortunate enough to be professionally recognized and customer referred.
What We are Looking for: 5 Framing Carpenters
As a Framing Carpenter, you will be responsible for completing carpentry work and renovations in accordance with approved plans. You will be working with a team of professionals and may be asked to work on several projects at a time. Our ideal candidate will have a minimum of 2 years of experience in the trade. In this position, you will be required to travel to job sites throughout the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) region and transportation is available for the entire team meeting at the head office.
What You’ll do:
· Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and sketches, and complete carpentry work and renovations in accordance with approved plans;
· Measure, cut, shape, assemble and join materials made of wood, wood substitutes;
· Fit and install foundation woodwork including windows, doors, and stairs, floor beams, subflooring, etc.;
· Perform general and specialized carpentry work on client sites which may include constructing and repairing fixtures (buildouts, prefabricated structures, dividers, custom frames, etc.);
· Perform maintenance or restoration of wood fixtures in accordance with blueprints and drawings approved by clients;
· Check area condition and prepare layouts in conformance to building codes;
· May supervise apprentices and other construction workers;
What we need:
· At least 2 years of experience in interior carpentry with specialization in millwork and basement space general renovations;
· Good understanding of environmental-friendly wood and millwork materials;
· Proven experience working in tight spaces;
· Good English language skills (written and oral);
· Familiarity with workplace safety, safe lifting and handling procedures;
· Secondary school diploma;
This is a full time, hourly position with our head office at 906 Magnetic Drive, North York, ON M3J 2C4. The hours of work will vary and could include days, evenings and weekends and you will be required to visit job sites.
Minimum of 30-35 hours per week for $25.00, overtime rate may apply after 44 hours of work per week. Extended medical and Dental insurance.
So what’s the first step to your exciting new career with Penguin?
We are accepting online applications and welcome all qualified people interested in this opportunity. While we appreciate and value all applicants, only those who will be selected to interview will be contacted.
Penguin Basement Limited is committed to supporting an inclusive, barrier- free recruitment and selection process in a work environment where all employees feel valued, respected and supported.